May 06, 2007

Modern day Babel

When I was younger, I hated it when my sister's friendwould try to talk to someone (Mostly me) in french, Spanish, or whatever other language he knew. The boy knew like 4 languages. It frustrated me that I couldn't understand him when he did this and he "Couldn't" understand why I didn't know what he was saying. It was truly obnoxious on "It's a small world After All" as he tried to sing the soprano part in a falsetto voice in every language he knew. Eventually I didn't see him as much, though I bet he still does it occaisionally.

Now Emma's doing it in her own made-up language. She seems to have no Idea why I don't know what she's saying. I wonder if slipping into other languages and then wondering why no one understands you is a recessive personality trait that made its way into the gene pool about the time of the tower of Babel and occaisionally rears its ugly head in modern times. Must be, because I haven't seen any 4-mile high temples recently...

5 comments:

Susan G. said...

why did I not know you had a blog???

Mark said...

Heh...I've kind of forgotten about it. Haven't written in a long, long time. It's just another failed attempt at a journal in a long list of failed attempts.

Maybe I'll start it up again soon. Who knows?

Susan G. said...

I think I know which friend you are dogging on here and on his behalf I am offended!! Your ignorance wasn't his fault!!

Mark said...

No, my ignorance wasn't his fault but continuing to do it when he knew it bugged me was.

Susan G. said...

no, that was just plain fun!!